1984. That’s the year I turned 7.
MorningSong tagged me for a seven-random-things-about-you-meme. I think I’ve given you some pretty random things about myself (click here and here if you’ve forgotten). And since I’m kinda empty on the interesting blog fodder, I thought I’d give you 7 Random Things About Myself When I Was 7. (I just added the “When I Was 7” part for fun.)
1. I went to church camp for the first time that year. Mama & Daddy bought me all new clothes. I’m pretty sure one of the outfits had ice cream cones on it.
2. I won 2nd place in the Young Author’s Fair at my school. I wrote a story about a Pitten. Which is obviously a cross between a Panda and a Kitten. The first line of the story was, “I like my Pitten and my Pitten likes me.” I stole that first line from one of the boys at my table. He was in the Blue Reading Group which was the most advanced reading group in the class.
3. I saw the movie Ghostbusters. I can still remember how cool that song was, “Who ya’ gonna call? GHOSTBUSTERS!”
4. I started 2nd grade. I had the meanest teacher, Mrs. Blevins. Her husband was the principal and he would bring her ice cream during class. And she would eat it in front of us!
5. My best friend Holly lived across the street. We loved to play Monopoly. We had a Monopoly game that went on all summer. We’d just close the board up and hide our money, then play again the next day.
6. This is the year I got glasses. I needed them for reading. (I guess that’s why I wasn’t in the Blue Reading Group.) I remember I got a cool glasses case. It was shiny red with a long strap on it so I could wear it like a purse. I was supposed to wear them everyday at school. One day I hadn’t worn them and Mama asked me after school, “Did you wear your glasses?” And I said, “Yeee…waaaah!!!” and started crying before I could finish the word. I never was a very good liar!
7. I had my birthday party at the skating rink. We had clear balloons with stars on them for every kid that came. We tied the balloons to our back beltloop or our ponytails so they would fly out behind us while we skated.
Now for the best part. I tag Staci, Kristen & Becky so they will update their blogs. I also tag Mama. And I know Val & Randi are always up for a meme. And one more? Uhm…how about Candace? All you have to do is write 7 random things about yourself. Then tag 7 others. Not too hard! If you don’t want to, it’s no biggee. But do you really want to be the kid that says, “Uh! I’m not it!”?