We’re not doing Halloween this year. Lydia is just too fearful. And I’m just too tired to deal with screams over cotton spiderwebs. I’ve been thinking about it a lot and if you’re interested, there are some SUPER FAB posts by some SUPER FAB guest bloggers (and one by moi) about Halloween over at Impress Your Kids. Seriously, good stuff.
So, in light of my NON-Halloween-ness, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to join in with Mary’s Giving Up on a Perfect Halloween. (By the way do you read Mary’s blog, Giving Up On Perfect? Well, you should. She is delightful.)
I’ve been wanting to share this for oh, 14 years now. Please indulge me as I share the
BEST IDEAS I’VE EVER HAD ABOUT BIBLICAL HALLOWEEN COSTUMES.
Tell me that is not a hilarious title. I’m giggling already.
1. Lazarus: an unraveling mummy with a name tag that says “Hello! My Name is Lazarus!” (see John 11)
2. Lot’s Wife: dress completely in white, paint face white and carry a salt shaker. Or randomly freeze. (see Genesis 19)
3. Plagued Egyptian: dress in standard Egyptian garb but also attach plastic bugs (see Exodus 7-11)
4. Jonah: Dress in tattered Bible-time clothes but add a little seaweed sticking out and maybe rub on some fish smell, too. (see Jonah 1-2)
5. Delilah: Bible-time outfit while holding a big pair of scissors and maybe even a few more beauty parlor supplies in tow. You know, kind of Bible Costume meets Frenchy:
photo found at thegoldencloset.com
6. Baby Bible Heroes. There are just so many great babies…let’s see Moses in the basket (cut a hole in the bottom of a basket and wear it with suspenders), baby Jesus (swaddling clothes, anyone?), baby Jacob & Easau (you know, if you were twins, one could be hairy and the other…not hairy) or even young Joseph with a technicolor coat.
7. Adam and Eve. Pre-sin. KIDDING. (see Genesis 2:25)
So, if I was super-spiritual or was looking for a few eye-rolls from every non-Bible-believin’ person I knew, those are the costumes I’d choose. You know I’m kidding right? (Except for Lazarus. That one IS pretty funny.)
If you’ve got a funny Halloween story to share, link up with Mary. She’s giving away PRIZES!!