It’s Monthly Mission time! It’s Monthly Misison time! I feel like I should have a little song and dance to go with this. I seriously get giddy thinking about these missions and our kiddos learning to serve with them!
This month, I’m stoked (seriously, I can’t even think of a better word) about this mission because it’s an organization started and run by kids. Paper for Water started when two little girls heard about kids in other countries not being able to go to school or play because they had to haul (dirty) water every day instead. They decided to do something about this.
They knew how to make origami ornaments because their dad who is half-Japanese taught them. So, they started folding paper and making ornaments. They sold them at their local Starbucks and bada-bing, bada-boom in less than two years they’ve raised $122,000 for wells in India, Africa and other countries!
Do you need me to write that number again for you? $122,000! And these girls are 6 and 9 years old!
I first heard about these girls from my friend Heather at God-Centered Mom because she carpools with them. So, Heather is our guest-friend-blogger this month! She and her four boys (count ’em, FOUR!) have come up with some fabulous ways we can support Paper for Water. And you are going to love love love it!
Here’s our mission:
2. Check out Living Water International, who Paper for Life partners with to build the wells. You will fall in love with them in about 10 seconds. (Watch that video on the home page. Yowza.)
3. Pick one of these to do each week or just pick one and go with it all month:
- Collect paper for the girls to fold. This can be any cool scrapbook type paper, just not cardstock or tissue paper. Squares of 3×3, 4×4, or 6×6 is best.
- Go through your jewelery box or craft stash and collect any beads or charms to be used as embellishments on the ornaments.
- Learn to fold your own origami ornaments. You can try to sell them or just help your kids see how much work these girls have put into their ministry.
- Some other awesome thing that God puts in your heart (drink only water for a week and use the money you saved on juice and Starbucks to give to Water for Life? start your own crafts-for-sale ministry?)
Did you read Cindy’s post about their Monthly Mission experience? She had some awesome mama insight you need to read!
Update: This monthly mission has been accomplished. But you can still help out Paper for Water! Use the links above to see what they’re up to now!
Mail paper and bead donations to:
Paper for Water
P.O. Box 720999
Dallas, TX 75372-0999
For monetary donations make checks payable to: Living Water International